A friendly place to live!
Hilltop Residence is designed as part of the older adult housing and service continuum on the Madison Healthcare Services campus.
Hilltop Residence is a 36-unit apartment building, offering senior independent living with an array of optional services for low-income persons 62 years or older. Rental subsidies are available through the Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 8 Housing Assistant Program.
Tenants at Hilltop enjoy a comfortable, clean environment, full social program, and a warm and caring atmosphere.
Hilltop Residence offers an attractive and secure environment for its residents, combining the privacy and independence of personal senior living apartments with the peace of mind that comes with in-house and on-campus services. Services offered include: nursing visits; medication management; dietary management; assistance with light dressing, grooming, medication reminders, and breakfast; bathing; housekeeping and laundry; medical transportation and shopping management; exercise program and activities; plus additional cares available from a menu of services. These services are available at rates separate from the apartment rental; however, tenants may qualify for county assistance to pay the additional charges.
- One-bedroom independent living apartments with wall-to-wall carpeting in the living room and bedroom, personal bath, and full kitchen
- 500+ square feet of living space with generous closets and storage pantry
- Electric kitchen appliances, hot water heat, and air conditioner sleeve (tenants provide own AC unit)
- On-site staff
- 24-hour emergency response system located in the bathroom and the bedroom
- Private parking lot with designated spots (no garage)
- Patio and picnic areas in a spacious courtyard
- Coin-operated laundry room (laundry services available)
- Bus service to downtown and other in-town areas available
- Conveniently connected to the clinic, nursing home, hospital, and chapel, where services from various denominations are held weekly
- Access to supportive home care services provided by Madison Hospital Home Health
- Exercise and game area/recreational equipment
- Free delivery from grocery and drug stores
- Cable TV access (small monthly fee)
- Housing with services package, including dinner and supper meals, available
- Tenants must be 62 years or older.
- To be eligible for a housing subsidy, applicants must have an annual income at or below the income limits set by the government and adjusted annually (call for specifics).
- Hilltop Residence gives preference to applicants with annual incomes at or below 30% of the area median (call for specifics).
- Monthly rent is determined by an applicant’s annual adjusted income. Rent will be no more than 30% of monthly income minus medical expenses.
- Rent includes heat, water, sewer, and garbage. Tenants pay their own electric bill, metered by the City of Madison. However, a Utility Allowance is deducted from every tenant’s rental rate to offset the electric bill.
- Tenants are responsible for their own telephone and may purchase cable services from Madison Healthcare Services for $15 per month.
Income: Gross Earnings (before deductions)
Income may include, but is not limited to, Social Security, SSI, pensions, veteran’s benefits, Minnesota Supplemental Assistance (MSA), annuities, cash rent, and employment income.
Assets: Interest earned on assets OR total value of all assets X 2% (whichever is greater)
Assets may include, but are not limited to, checking accounts, savings accounts, certificates of deposit (excluding verifiable burial funds), money market accounts, stocks, bonds, trusts, land, or other physical property.
Medical Deductions: Out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by Medicare or insurance
This figure is not calculated on a dollar-for-dollar basis. A portion of these expenses are deducted from income based on a formula set by HUD. Medical deductions may include, but are not limited to, Medicare premiums, supplemental health insurance premiums, prescriptions, medical care (including clinic, hospital, nursing home, and certain assistive services), eye and dental care.
This information is provided by Hilltop Residence senior independent living to help in the decision-making process as you consider making a move. Kelly Maatz, Housing Manager, will visit with you one-on-one to determine your rent, based on verified income, assets, and expenses, and applying specific rules and regulations governing the Section 8 Housing Assistance Program.
A place of Caring, Sharing, and Convenient Senior Independent Living!
If you have any questions regarding our application process, please feel free to contact Kelly Maatz at 320-598-7551.Download Hilltop Application (pdf)